The Software Development Director will plan the development resources, oversee the execution, and monitor all activities related to software development and integrations of our flagship product (INSIS), incorporating technology, processes, and best software engineering industry practices.
The position will report to the COO and will closely work with the Product & Solutions Management Director, Engineering & Infrastructure Director, Client Services Director and all the heads of the operations departments.
The Software Development Director leads the Platform Development, Channels Development, and Release Management units of Fadata, responsible for both product research & development and projects’ customizations.
This position will be based in Sofia, Bulgaria.
The Software Development Director’s key responsibilities comprise leadership and management of the joint global Software Development function of Fadata, standardization and development of the company’s flagship platform and products, contribution to project customizations and project integration activities, the overall developers resource management as well as adopting and enforcing standards and processes.
Product & Project Development
• Ensure proper execution of the INSIS roadmap development plan
• Provide an expert input and assist the COO and Product Management in keeping the product roadmap up to date according to the technical and business requirements of customers and Fadata architectural strategy
• Work with the project delivery department to allocate resources on projects and balance core vs. custom development efforts
• Propose and implement optimizations in the software
• Provide deep expertise, technical authority, and guidance whilst taking active ownership for the quality of development team’s work
• Enable consistency in the software, making sure that customized developments work properly with INSIS core and that relevant improvements are incorporated into the software
Department Management & Leadership
• Promote and drive innovation, quality, performance, and accountability
• Manage several units across locations and oversee and improve the software development functions across the entire group
• Directs the department managers, identifying and promoting professional growth opportunities
• Track and manage availability of capacity and skills within the team, ensuring an effective blend of team development, new recruitments and use of third parties when needed
• Perform hiring / recruiting activities for the team, when necessary
• Develop and oversee budgets, policies, and procedures for the Software Development Department.
• Responsible for the execution phase of the Product Release Cycle
• Drive best practices to continuously improve the quality of work delivered through improved processes, standards and tools used for software development
• Embed a culture of agile working and continuous improvement across developers and software engineers, encouraging simplicity, efficiency, ownership, and accountability
• Set departmental and managerial goals, establish and control R&D, product, and project development KPIs
• BS/MS in Computer Science or equivalent degree• At least 10 years of hands-on experience building and delivering complex software and mission-critical systems to large international customers
• At least 5 years of experience leading large global product development teams of more than 50 software engineers
• Knowledge of professional software engineering & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, test automation, CI/CD, and release management process operations
• Experience developing robust, scalable, and configurable enterprise-grade standard system, based on service-oriented architecture and web services
• Knowledge of agile software development practices
• Capable of showing good judgment and instincts in decision making
• Able to prioritize, perform and allocate to his/her team tasks in a fast-pace and complex environment
• Knowledge and ability to implement principles of management, leadership, conflict resolution, negotiation, and motivation;
• Strong analytical skills, including expertise in the modeling and analysis of data;
• Strong leadership and communication skills
• Insurance and/or Financial Business understanding is highly desirable.
• An exciting working environment.
• Competitive remuneration and social incentives package.
• Development opportunities that match an individual’s aspirations and motivation.
If you are interested in this role, we will be glad to hear from you.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
All applications will be assessed and treated in strict confidence.